- Home /
- Understanding different Lens Materials
Understanding different Lens Materials
Lens Material for Prescription Eyeglasses
There are a few choices you should be aware of when buying prescription eyeglasses online. Sometimes understanding the difference between various lens types can be a little complicated to an average person. Therefore, we would like to simply the process as much as we can for you. Below are the various options that are available on different lens materials for you:
- Bronze Package Standard (-1.50) - They have a refractive index of 1.5 which means they are mid-index lenses. The higher the index, the thinner lenses get. Standard -1.50 lenses are simple which are recommended for prescriptions of SPHERE (-4.00 to +3.00 ) and Cylinder (-3.00 and below).
- Silver Thin and Lite (1.57) - These glasses are thinner than standard -1.50 lenses. The higher index makes them more comfortable to wear asides from being thinner and lighter. These lenses are recommended for SPHERE (-5.00 to +4.00 ) and Cylinder (-3.00 and below).
- Gold Polycarbonate (1.59) - Extremely durable and the material is also often to use make bullet proof vests. These lenses are more resistant to impact and very light weight. The quality of plastic in these lenses is better and they are less prone to scratching and especially suitable for higher prescriptions and those who break their glasses and outdoor activities.
- Gold Super Thin (1.60) - These lenses have a high refractive index of 1.60. As the refractive index keeps getting higher, the lenses keep getting thinner. These barely there glasses are especially suitable for those who want to purchase rimless glasses.
- Platinum Ultra Thin (1.67) - Much thinner with lower distortion and amazing flat design. If you have a very high prescription such as SPHERE (-7.00 to +7.00 ), you may want to go with these due to their thinness and ultra light weight.
- Platinum Thinnest Possible(1.74) - You cannot get any better quality than Aspheric lenses. These lenses are the thinnest possible and offer premium quality over any lenses. Although, a bit high in price, but these lenses can best be described as superior luxury and best possible quality for your eyes. These lenses come with in-built UV protection and amazing coatings.
An honorary mention obviously goes to Glass lenses out of which the name "eyeglasses" has been derived. Glass lenses however are outdated and are detrimental to safety, break easily, and simply don't last. Also, they are much more expensive than the superior options due to high costs associated with the materials.
Most people orders range from Silver and Gold packages. However, if you have any doubts, you can always can consult your local optician on which glasses may suit you the best. Alternatively, you can also reach out to our customer care at 800-315-4428 Monday through Friday between 9AM-6PM EST.